Today’s article is about Nadi Shodhana Kriya Pranayama. In this article, you will be able to know why Nadi Shodhana Kriya is necessary before doing Pranayama. What is the method, precautions, and benefits of Nadi Shodhana Kriya? Along with this, you will also be able to know what is the importance of Nadi Shodhana Kriya Pranayama in Hata Yoga.
Pulse Purification –
Nadi purification is considered essential before Pranayama. The practice of Nadi Shodhana Kriya is the act of driving the prana within your body. This action is the act of awakening the prana. But the awakening of prana and free flow of prana is possible only when all the Nadis within us become free from blockage.
There are 72,000 Nadis in our bodies. Due to some kind of blockage in these Nadis, diseases start to arise. Due to the purification of the Nadis, the flow of blood starts flowing in the whole body at a smooth speed. And his Chaitanya, vigor, power increases much more than before. Nadi Shodhana Kriya Pranayama is particularly effective in de-blocking the nerves.
There are many Nadis in our body, just as flowers are tied in necklaces. In the same way, these Nadis are intertwined and entangled with each other. Their entanglement obstructs the flow of life force. Therefore, pranayama should not be practiced until these Nadis are purified.
In yoga texts, 72 thousand Nadis are mentioned. Of these, only 14 Nadis have been considered, out of which 3 Nadis are considered as the main ones. which is like this –
- Sushumna Nadi
- Hasthjhiva (hand tongue)
Types of pulse purification –
There are two types of Nadi Shodhana with the distinction of Samanu and Nirman –
This action of Nadi Shodhana occurring with Beej Mantra is mental. In the beginning, the seeker takes care of the breath mentally and with the breath, takes his consciousness up and down. After this, to go deep, practice the mantra with breathing.
The process of purification of pulses done by Dhautikarma is physical. Lungs become defect-free by Dhauti Kriya. The internal organs become disorder-free. Then the awakening of prana starts happening automatically. At that time efforts are made to send Prana only to the Nadi region.
Method of purification of pulse:-
Nadi Shodhana Kriya Pranayama –
- First of all, sit in any posture of meditation like Sukhasana, Padmasana or Vajrasana.
- For Nadi Shodhana, sit facing east or north.
- Place the index and middle fingers of the right hand on the middle of the forehead.
- Now place the thumb over the right nostril and the ring finger over the left nostril.
- Close the right nostril and inhale from the left and slowly take it to the navel chakra.
- Keep in mind that as the full moon of the full moon in the navel place, there is yellow-colored soft light.
- The drawn breath is touching him.
- Hold the breath inside for the same amount of time in which the breath has been drawn.
- Keep meditating that the light of the full moon located in the navel is being drawn by touching the breath and making it cool and luminous.
- Now exhale through the left nostril.
- Notice that the light and cool air coming back after touching the navel chakra is returning, making the ducts of the Ida Nadi cool and luminous.
- The rate of exhalation should be very slow.
- Hold your breath out for a while.
- Similarly, while inhaling and exhaling through the left nostril three times, do a cool meditation of the moon in the navel chakra.
- Then while exhaling through the right nostril three times, meditate on the warm light of the sun.
- Now exhale through the mouth while inhaling once through both the nostrils.
- Thus one cycle of Nadi Shodhana was completed.
- In the beginning, do Nadi Shodhana Kriya Pranayama up to three times.
- This can be done up to 20 cycles as the practice becomes mastery.
Benefits of Nadi Shodhana Kriya Pranayama –
- By regularly practicing Nadi Shodhana, all the Nadis become stool-free and pure in no time.
- One begins to feel lightness in his body as well as an abundance of energy.
Precautions in Nadi Shodhana Kriya Pranayama –
- This pranayama should be practiced only in Brahmamuharta (between 4 and 6 in the morning). It should not be practiced during the day.
- When the air is slow and cold, neither too cold nor too hot, then in that cold air, Nadi Shodhana Kriya Pranayama should be practiced.
- Nadi Shodhana Kriya Pranayama should not be practiced in a closed room.
- Always do this by opening the windows and doors so that pure air can enter.
- Keep in mind that the place should not be too ventilated so that there is a gust of wind inside the room.
- If the air is a little cold, then put on a sheet or put on some clothes.
- The body should not be allowed to come in direct contact with air.