Gmail comes with 15GB of storage and if it is full then, you must have to delete un-used emails. This is to make some space to allow new emails to arrive in your Mailbox. If in case, you have delete a few emails from the mailbox and still the storage is showing the same. It means that Gmail account storage is not updated yet because of some error at Google’s end.
Not only is this, sometimes you choose to purchase storage space and the storage still shows the same. In both cases, the error is from Google’s end. Where there is an issue there is resolution too and the same goes with this issue as well.
Solution 1- Reconnect the Google Account
If the solution is to reconnect the account, it is necessary to disconnect it first. The current Google account might have storage that has been updated after removing files. But the account is late while updating the status. You can try to reconnect the account and check the storage space. Gmail account storage not updated
Google Drive: Web App
- Go to the Google Drive web page and find Google Account from the upper-right corner. Choose the option that says “Sign Out”
- Find the Google Drive official page. Access your account again to check if Google Drive storage has been now with update quota
Google Drive: Desktop App
- Find the Google Drive icon and tap on it from the desktop taskbar. Choose the Settings and go to the Preferences
- Go to the Settings icon and once more tap on it from the upper-right corner of the screen
- Tap on the Disconnect account appears next to the account details
- Open the program and click on Sign in with browser and enter the account credentials to access Google Drive
Solution 2- Restart Backup and Synchronize
When synchronizing is stuck or there is an unknown error occur then, restart the app to fix the issue. This is the time when you have to click on the Backup and Sync symbol on the PC. Click on more and select Quit Backup and Synchronize and then, open it once again.
Solution 3- Keep Antivirus or Firewall Temporarily
There is a chance that your antivirus or firewall program is restricting the synchronization issue. In such a case, all you have to do is to disable Firewall or Antivirus on a temporary basis. Check if it is alright.
Solution 4- Change Proxy Settings
Another fixing is to change the proxy settings and for that-
- Go to the Preferences section and find Settings
- There you have to choose network settings
- Get back to Direct Connection in the Proxy Settings
- Additionally, move the Google Drive default folder to the Drive folder from the local C disk
Solution 5- Google Drive Desktop App Reinstallation
Google Drive Desktop app is updated once in a while with new features added and optimizing issues for the previous programs. This bug includes the Gmail account storage not updated. If you still have an old Google Drive software version, update it to the latest Drive for desktop.
- Go to the Google Drive icon from the desktop and choose the Settings icon
- Click on the Quit option from the pop-up list. If you access more than one Google Drive account then, you have to repeat the same process unless the accounts sign out
- Press Win + I to open Windows Settings and find App and Features
- Navigate Google Drive from the apps list and then, click on Uninstall
- Find the Download page of Google Drive to find advanced Google Drive version for desktop
- Now, access your account and check if storage is now updated with new space
Solution 6- Navigate Orphaned Files
There are a lot of GD files that are without any parent folders. These are orphaned files and they can increase the storage quota of Google Drive. This is the way through which you can navigate and delete orphan files in Google Drive.
- The file name will be unorganized owner: me into the search box Google Drive and press the Enter key
- Google will look for and show the orphaned files. There you have to delete just by right-clicking on the file. After that, choose Remove when appears from the context menu
- You have to hold the CTRL key to choose multiple files to delete
Even you can drag and drop the orphan directly to the Trash from the left Google Drive menu. This will delete all of them and there you have to empty the Trash folder to delete it.
If the Gmail storage quota is full and you have to save new emails, then you can free up space. To do so, you can delete the emails which are of no use. Else, you also can prefer purchasing more storage quota from the official website.
These methods will definitely update the new Gmail account storage. You also can Gmail Customer Care UK Helpline to know the exact causes and resolution for the same in the shortest time.